- Classical archaeology—the excavation and analysis of ancient Greek and Roman sites—was born on Wednesday, October 22, 1738. On that day, Roque Joaquín Alcubierre, an engineer in the army of the Bourbon royal family in Naples, was lowered by ropes down a square well shaft cut through volcanic material that had formed on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. When Alcubierre reached the bottom of the well, 65 feet below the surface, he began to wind his way through tunnels carved into the volcanic material, noting pieces of architectural elements as he went. This discovery became the first systematic study of the astonishingly intact ruins of the Roman city of Herculaneum, buried for 1,700 years in the volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Alcubierre's recording of the artworks, colored marbles, inscriptions, lamps, and items of everyday life he discovered deep inside the earth marked the "Big Bang" of Classical archaeology—a quest to understand Greek and Roman culture through its material remains that continues to this day.
Detroit Publishing Company - Touring Turn of The Century America 1880-1920
- This collection of photographs from the Detroit Publishing Company Collection includes over 873 glass negatives and transparencies & color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. The collection includes the work of a number of photographers, one of whom was the well known photographer William Henry Jackson.
241 UHQ JPG Plates | <2378х3203 | 300 dpi | 1.4 GB
- Paul Gustave Doré [January 6, 1832 – January 23, 1883] was a French artist, engraver, illustrator and sculptor. Doré worked primarily with wood engraving and steel engraving.
765 HQ JPG Images | 2414x3000 | 211 MB
- Gil Elvgren (March 15, 1914 – February 29, 1980), born Gillette Elvgren, was an American painter of pin-up girls, advertising and illustration. Elvgren was one of the most important pin-up and glamour artists of the twentieth century. Today he is best known for his pin-up paintings for Brown & Bigelow. Elvgren studied at the American Academy of Art.
Natural landscapes on Canvases of Russian Artists, 139 Paintings HQ
139 JPG Canvases with Artist's Names | <3185x1144 Pixels | 179 MB
Great Pin-Up Collection | Seperated and Indexed
- Pin-up, Pin-up (English to pin up - pin, that is, poster, pin up on the wall) - popular in the middle of the last century, American style of popular art - frivolous pictures with pretty girls. These images were created as follows: the artist took the black-and-white photographs of real centerfold and redraws them in color and more attractive way. Although the public eventually saw only embellished pictures of models, some of them getting through them celebrities and sex symbols.
Harper's Pictorial History of the Civil War
Authors: Alfred H. Guernsey and Henry M. Alden
- This facsimile edition of the original work published in 1869 provides a treasure trove of primary-source material for any researcher. The number of details mentioned lends immediacy for today's people. Military, political, and social issues are thoroughly discussed. Maps, black-and-white illustrations, and portraits add further interest and appear on nearly every page. Footnotes appear in smaller print on the same page as their reference. A wonderful, comprehensive, oversized resource.
- Chinese tattoo master Hailin Fu is currently on his way back to China after an extended guest spot in Canada. He will be heading back to China to co-curate the "Death" art show with Damian McGrath of Tattoos.com opening end of October in Beijing. We will be posting information on Hailin's latest projects on this site as well as sharing videos and photos from his latest work. This site is a gateway to all of the social media channels as well as an archive of Hailin's tattoo and art work. Hailin Fu will have prints of his works on sale at the Calgary Tattoo and Arts Fesitival at the Tattoos.com booth Oct. 14th-16th. We will be updating this site in english mostly for what is going on outside of China when Hailin is traveling to western conventions or tattooing outside of asia. We will post videos of his work as Damian from Tattoos.com joins him for a month in China.
Frans Hals Museum - Art Museum in Harlem, known as the Museum of the Golden Age of Dutch painting. The museum was founded in 1862 and originally located in a newly renovated former Cloître in the back of City Hall, known as the Prinsenhof. Basis of the collection was a rich collection of paintings from City Hall that included including more than a dozen paintings by Frans Hals, in whose honor and was named the museum. The museum moved to the present building in 1913 Kolletsiya contemporary art museum located in the branch, located in a former meat and fish trading stalls in the city center.
- Classic collection of the museum is located in the former poorhouse Haarlem (Netherlandish Oudemannenhuis), founded in 1609. The living quarters were arranged around a courtyard, typical harlemskogo hofe. Each of the thirty tiny houses, almshouses was inhabited by two old men, to have the right to live there they should be at least 60 years old, lonely and are inhabitants of Haarlem. In almshouse, each of them took with his belongings: a bed, chair, potty, three blankets, six good shirts and six nightcap. Doors were locked in the poorhouse eight o'clock in the summer and seven winter. The inhabitants of almshouses were regularly beg, a sculpture of the person for alms cup in hand, can be seen in the lobby of the museum. Hospice operated five regents, pictures with their image of the Frans Hals museum exhibits.
- In 1810 the building accommodated an orphanage. Conditions of life in an orphanage in the XIX century are well described in the autobiographical short stories by Jacob Loy. In 1913 the building was transferred to the museum. The old part of the museum's collection originated from the time of the Reformation, and consists mainly of paintings on religious themes. In 1648 the painting owned by the Roman Catholic Church were confiscated by the city council. Frans Hals worked as a restorer of the city's first official hired by the city authorities and is working to restore clicked into the possession of the city fabric. Then in the 17 th century to decorate the town hall city council ordered a few paintings on related past Haarlem historical themes - the siege Damiata and the legend of the shield Haarlem. At this time the Town Hall functioned as a semi-official museum.
- Between 1605 and 1635 years. in Haarlem were created more than 100 thousand paintings. Not all of them survived, most of them are outside of Haarlem in many museums around the world, but this figure gives an idea about the number of the artist creates in the city at that time. Most of the work came to our days largely due to the "Book of the artist" Karel van Mander was published in 1604.
120 Great Flower Paintings - Dover DVD
ISBN:9780486990026 | Author/Editor: Carol Belanger Grafton
- The images on the DVD are saved in high-quality JPEG format in three different sizes: 300-dpi high resolution files with a 15" short dimension, 300-dpi high-resolution files with an 8" short dimension, and 72-dpi Internet-ready files with an 8" short dimension.
- Product Description: This colorful compilation features bouquet after bouquet by the great masters. Featured paintings include van Gogh's Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers, Manet's Crystal Vase with Flowers, and Cézanne's Blue Vase, in addition to works by Renoir, Degas, Millet, Delacroix, Pissarro, Monet, and Cassatt. Each painting can be printed at poster size and you can play a slideshow of the images on your TV or computer.
Cecily Mary Barker [1895-1973] - Flower Fairies
133 JPG Images | up to 3508x2480 Pixels | 65 MB
- Cicely Mary Barker (28 June 1895 – 16 February 1973) was an English illustrator best known for a series of fantasy illustrations depicting fairies and flowers. Barker's art education began in girlhood with correspondence courses and instruction at the Croydon School of Art. Her earliest professional work included greeting cards and juvenile magazine illustrations, and her first book, Flower Fairies of the Spring, was published in 1923. Similar books were published in the following decades. Barker was a devout Anglican, and donated her artworks to Christian fundraisers and missionary organizations. She produced a few Christian-themed books such as The Children’s Book of Hymns and, in collaboration with her sister Dorothy, He Leadeth Me. She designed a stained glass window for St. Edmund's Church, Pitlake, and her painting of the Christ Child, The Darling of the World Has Come, was purchased by Queen Mary. Barker was equally proficient in watercolour, pen and ink, oils, and pastels. Kate Greenaway and the Pre-Raphaelites were the principal influences on her work. She claimed to paint instinctively and rejected artistic theories. Barker died in 1973. Though she published Flower Fairy books with spring, summer, and autumn themes, it wasn't until 1985 that a winter collection was assembled from her remaining work and published posthumously.
CAMELOT Stoastone 2011 - Seamless Textures of Stone
Wild Rock - Decorative Stone - Decorative Brick
102 HQ JPG Textures | ~2000x3000 Pixels | 430 MB